Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Once Upon a Time... Doodlebug made a line called Fairy Tales

I am LOVING these three new collections from Doodlebug - like can't-keep-my-hands-off-the-cuteness love. :) Courtney Lee from Court's Crafts here with some cards fit for a princess. I love this trio. They make me so happy! The colors in this collection are fantastic and as purple doesn't make it into a lot of collections I LOVE that it is part of this one. 


I thought it might be fun to show you a bit of my creative process and I will mention it below. I wasn't "planning" on showing you this so excuse the messiness but this is "truth-blogging" I suppose! :)

When I get a new collection and I am brainstorming I draw sketches of the cards with notes of things I am inspired by. Here were my three original sketches separated by washi tape as I just had to see those cute prints on paper. Watch how much the last one changed!


Happy Birthday Balloons

I started with the mini icons as my inspiration. I wanted to do something with those darling balloons that were smiling at me! 

I grabbed this multicolored polka dotted paper: appropriately named "fairy fetti" (LOVE) and was originally going to put my design on plain white paper. I just felt "blah" about it and switched to the petite prints! Voila! Pizazz! I stitched along the edge in purple thread at the insistence of my 3 and 4 year olds. :) 

So.... I wanted to add a rainbow as originally I was going to use the rainbow striped paper. On the back of the fairy fetti paper are 4x6 cards. One of them has a long rainbow on it. It almost killed me but I cut that rainbow out of that darling card. Then I trimmed it down to size. See the castle spire in the rainbow? I covered it up with a balloon. 

Some twine, the sentiment from the mini icons and some sparkle sprinkles finished off this cute card! I am always in need of birthday cards and now I have a "go to" line for girls! 

Recipe:
doodlebug: petite prints: cupcake swiss dots (5052)



Happy Birthday Hearts

My second card started with a concept of just putting 6 hearts in a row and putting one letter in each one to spell out "thanks". This is what it evolved into! I fell in LOVE with that rainbow heart and I knew I wanted it to be my center. I layered the big and little hearts from the odds and ends around it tucking them behind and adding pop dots as I desired.

Then I added the sentiment and the heart sprinkles (LOVE) and remember that rainbow paper I was obsessed with? Yep. I got it in here as the background paper. I felt like it wasn't standing out enough so I grabbed a purple pen and just outlined everything for emphasis. This is one of my favorite cards I have made in a while! I cannot wait to give it away to someone special!

Recipe:



THAnKS Card

Last but not least. You wouldn't believe the transformation from concept to completion on this card. Have you ever have an idea that you just couldn't make work? The iterations on this made this work and I am sooo happy with the result! I'll show you part of it. :)

Okay so after the first failed idea, I fussy cut with a thin border around the whole image to give it a shadow. This was SUPER hard for me as there is no getting the stickers back, etc. etc. I had one shot and if I didn't like it, I super messed it up. .....I did not like that either (LOL) so on my THIRD attempt, I cut around the whole thing super tight. I love it. Then I just had to figure out what to do with it!


I loved this purple polka dotted paper as well as the bright polka dots on white so I layered those to ground the center image. I used the skinny font on top of the presents and under the hat and added that adorable swirly cupcake, the strawberry and mini enamel dots from the shaped sprinkles. The rainbow is from the icons and the clouds are from another shaped sprinkles pack. Those amazing glitter sprinkles were added last in random spots on the back layer. There are so. many. sparkles. in those sprinkles.... love. I finished it off by adding the unicorn cute clip!

Recipe:



Here they are again and I hope you grab this super fun, happy, and bright line and make a bunch of amazing birthday/thank you/summertime/Mother's Day/just because cards!





SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS